Gimbap (Korean Dried Seaweed Rice Rolls)

Gimbap recipe

Remember the meatballs from World on a Plate last month? This time, we are going on a picnic! When it comes to picnics, the first thing that comes to every Korean’s mind is gimbap (also spelled kimbap). We all grew up on these rice rolls. They were a must (no exceptions) for our school field trips and outdoor activities as well as family road trips! Whether it’s the anticipation the night before or watching the early morning preparation by mom to pack these in lunch boxes, there is no other dish that takes me back to my childhood like gimbap. Today, gimbap is the most popular on-the-go meal in Korea. They are practically sold everywhere.

gimbap recipe

To make gimbap, the rice is rolled in seaweed with various fillings. Traditionally, the rice is lightly seasoned with sesame oil and salt. The fillings are individually seasoned and cooked, yielding an interesting combination of textures and flavors. Everything is well seasoned, so gimbap is not served with sauce. There are many variations these days, but the best gimbap to me is the traditional version my mother used to make for us on our field trip/picnic days. So, here is how to make gimbap the traditional way! It takes some time to prepare the individual fillings, but the process is easy. How hard is the rolling process? You’ll find it much easier with your second roll. I hope you make some gimbap soon and go on a picnic to enjoy the beautiful spring weather!

gimbap recipe
Update: The gimbap below includes seasoned burdock (우엉), which is commonly used in gimbap. You can usually find packages of burdock pre-prepared for gimbap next to yellow pickled radishes (danmuji).

gimbap recipe

Gimbap (Korean dried seaweed rice rolls)
Easy to follow traditional gimbap recipe
Ingredients
  1. 2 cups (standard measuring cup not the cup that comes with a rice cooker) uncooked short grain rice
  2. 1 tablespoons sesame oil
  3. salt to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
For the beef
  1. 8 ounces lean tender beef, cut into 1/2 inch-thick long strips
  2. (You can also use thin bulgogi meat or ground beef)
  3. 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  4. 1 teaspoon rice wine (or mirin)
  5. 1 teaspoon sugar
  6. 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  7. 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
For the vegetables
  1. 1 bunch spinach (about 8 ounces)
  2. 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  3. salt to taste - about 1/4 teaspoon
  4. 2 medium carrots, julienned (or 1/2-inch thick long strips)
  5. 5 yellow pickled radish (danmuji) strips (1/2-inch thick)
For the fish cake
  1. 1 sheet fish cake - eomuk
  2. 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  3. 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  4. 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  5. 2 eggs
  6. 5 gim (aka nori) sheets
Instructions
  1. Cook the rice using a little less water than usual. (Fresh cooked rice is best for gimbap.)
  2. Cut the beef into thin strips (about 1/2-inch thick). Mix well with the next 5 seasoning ingredients. Stir fry over medium high heat until cooked through, 2 - 3 minutes.
    gimbap-recipe
  3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and prepare an ice bath. Blanch the spinach, place immediately in the ice bat, then squeeze out water. Season with the sesame oil and salt.
    gimbap-recipe 4
  4. Julienne the carrots. Heat a lightly oiled pan over medium high heat. Stir fry the carrots until softened. Lightly season with pinch of salt.
    gimbap-recipe 5
  5. Cut the pickled radish lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips (unless you bought a pre-cut package).
    gimbap-recipe 8
  6. Crack and beat the eggs, in a bowl with a spoon or a fork. Stir in a pinch of salt. Heat a small non-stick pan over medium low heat. Add the eggs to the pan. When the bottom is set, flip it over. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch thick strips.
    gimbap-recipe 6
  7. Cut the fish cake lengthwise into 3/4-inch thick strips. Heat the pan with a little bit of oil over medium heat. Stir fry with with the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and a little bit (about 1 teaspoon) of vegetable oil over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes.
    gimbap-recipe 7
  8. Arrange all the ingredients together on a plate.When all the other ingredients are ready, remove the rice from the rice cooker.
    gimbap-recipe 15
  9. While the rice is still hot, add the sesame oil and salt. Mix well by lightly folding with a rice paddle or large spoon until evenly seasoned. Add more salt to taste. The rice will cool down during this process and be ready to be used.
    gimbap-recipe 9
  10. Put a sheet of gim, shiny side down and longer side toward you, on a cutting board or a bamboo mat if available. Spread about 3/4 cup to 1 cup of rice evenly over the gim, using a rice paddle or your fingers preferably.
    gimbap-recipe 10
  11. Lay the prepared ingredients on top of the rice close to the side toward you.
    gimbap-recipe 11
  12. Lift the entire bottom edge with both hands and roll over the filling away from you, tucking in the filling with your fingers.
    gimbap-recipe 11(1)
  13. Put firm pressure over the roll with the help of the bamboo mat, if using, to close everything in tightly. Then, continue to roll again, putting pressure evenly over the roll using both hands.
    gimbap-recipe 14
  14. Rub or brush the roll with a little bit of sesame oil for extra flavor and shiny look. Apply a little bit of sesame oil to a sharp knife. (This will keep rice from sticking to the knife. Repeat as necessary after each cut. Wipe the knife with a damp towel if the rice still sticks.) Cut the roll into 1/2-inch thick bite sizes.
    gimbap-recipe 13
Korean Bapsang http://www.koreanbapsang.com/

Comments

1. Wow I've never had rolls like this - it's like Korean sushi! I would absolutely love this. Great picnic post!
  2. I love this with a beef! I never had this kind of rolls before! Awesome job and thanks for sharing gimbap with us!
  3. So beautifully done Hyosun! They are so pretty and colorful. I have tasted these and know how delicious they are. Wish I had some now. They look so good.
  4. Hm, I tried to post a comment, but for some reason, I always have a hard time posting on your blog when using my wordpress credentials. Anyway, just wanted to say the photos are beautiful, not like mine when I wrote up the recipe a couple of years ago. We use spinach, egg, carrot, pickled radish and unarisushi. I can't remember what we call it in Korean, but they are the fried tofu that you stuff with rice? We cut them into strips and use them instead of meat.
    • Soyon - I'm sorry to hear you're have a hard time commenting. You're not the only one who said that, but I don't know how to fix it. Fried tofu sounds good, but I've never used in my gimbap. I should try it. Thanks for stopping by!
  5. Mmm, yummy yummy! I have some danmuji in the fridge and now I know how I want to use it next! Thank you for sharing your recipe. I didn't realize sesame oil gets added straight into the rice--I guess I have been preparing my rice more the Japanese way with vinegar and sugar all this time!
    • hi erica - That's the important part of Korean gimbap - seasoning the rice with sesame oil and salt. Some people add a Japanese twist by seasoning with vinegar and sugar. Thanks!
    • I was also going to comment about the rice preparation. We always made it with vinegar and sugar and until I read this post and did some google search, I never knew that was not the traditional way to make kimbap. I guess we make it more Japanese style, what with the unarisushi addition, too instead of meat.
  6. I always love Kimbap, and my mom even makes it more frequently than Japanese sushi roll. ;-) I want to make it on my own using your recipe next time!
  7. Anonymous says:
    These look awesome. Do you know of a way to make these in advance? My mom says they should never be refrigerated and I don't have time in the morning to make them.
  8. Caroline Foo says:
    These look nice. I think I will make this for lunch this weekend. Do I need to cook the beef?
    Thanks.
    Caroline
  9. What a wonderful picnic! I have to try making it!
  10. You make these look so perfectly! I thought my mom was the only one who could do that!
  11. Wow I never knew Koreans have sushi, nice. I love the this
  12. Hyosun, I will never be able to make such beautiful, neat rolls like yours. I lack discipline and am too clumsy for this. Your choice of fillings is so colourful and interesting! Even though I have already made rolls with ground beef (horrible photos and clumsy rolls but a wonderful taste!), I would have never thought of thin beef strips. I also love the Korean idea to add sesame oil. I am very curious about the taste, but I have always enjoyed sesame oil... Thank you for the inspiration!
    I have never made Korean rolls, only Japanese but I confirm that rolling gets easier and even if one obtains messy, unequal rolls, they taste heavenly, they are healthy and so much better than boring sandwiches. I have been making rolls for several years now and I always take them on long car trips instead of sandwiches.
    • Sissi - I'm sure yours look as good. Ground beef is commonly used as well. It will certainly help with rolling if the ingredients are large pieces. It's delicious with sesame oil. Try it. You'll like it.
    • It's so funny because I had no idea ground beef was used in Korean rolls: I used leftover ground beef and seasoned it in Indian style. It was so good I have been repeating the same seasoning since then.
      Next time I have to do it Korean way!
      (And yes, they don't even compare to yours...)
  13. These look delicious! I love kimbap. Reminds me of my childhood when I brought it for lunch and everyone ooh-ahhed over it :D

Now, I love "grown up" kimbap that has seasoned kimchi, perilla leaves and myulchi bokkeum in it. Spicy and delicious. Of course kids don't like this as much.

Mabel @
    mdcooksfor2.blogspot.com
    • Thanks, Mabel!I love kimchi and perilla leaves in my kimbap as well. I haven't had myulchi in it for a long time, but I remember having it when I was growing up in Korea.
  14. Gosh! I am thinking of making this for a weekend picnic and your post come just in time :) Thanks for sharing such a detail step-by-step Kimbap making :) Can i omit the beef for this?
  15. I like these rice rolls and it looks very easy to make. Thank you, Hyosun!
  16. Hi,
    Just found your blog today. I've added you to my blogroll so I can have access to my favorite Korean recipes. I would love to learn recipes from my mother but we can't seem to find the time to cook together. Anyway, great job and I love your pics. Just on a curious note, what kind of camera/lens do you use and who takes the pics when you are in the shot? Thanks!
    • Thanks for the kind words! I use Nikon D80 with a 35mm f/1.8G lens along with a tripod. I take most of the photos myself even the ones with me in the shot (using the tripod and time delayed). However, my daughter happened to be home when I took these photos, so the three photos with my both hands in this post were taken by my daughter. Thanks for adding mine to your blogroll!
    • I don't know why it didn't occur to me to use a tripod and time delay. Thannks for the tip!
  17. Looks delicious and so convenient because it's portable.
  18. love it with tuna...chamchi kimbap!!! YUMMMM....
  19. Great recipe. Would you be happy to put up a link to it in my Food on Friday – Asian Food Series.
  20. Anonymous says:
    nice idea.. thanks for sharing.
  21. Annyeong haseyo Hyosun-ssi :)

Before I stumbled to this page, my kimbap was never in great shape and makes me wonder why.Thanks for your tips now I know why. lol.
    Neomu kamsahae :D
  22. Anonymous says:
    Faaaaantastic :) Is it ok to use shrimp or lobster instead of beef?
  23. i was maked like this before,,i was used apple vinegar .. this one just sesame oil and salt.. definetl;y this one is better thanks for sharing ur woderful recipe i will try this surely .
  24. My favorite!! Kimbap used to be my favorite picnic food (well, it still is). It reminds me of all the picnic trips we went growing up!
  25. I love the kimbap you made here. I tried to make some sushi rolls myself before, and they aren't as gorgeous as yours. Thanks for the post. :)
  26. Mmm I am craving some Kimbap now!
  27. So pretty! My mom taught me how to make these using hot dogs, and I love to add a slice of cheese. Eating the "ugly" ends is my favorite part of making gimbap. :)
  28. Kimbap!!!!! Aw, super love! It makes me hungry again!!!!!
  29. Thank you for sharing! My first attempt on Gimbap and I love it! I am so going to try your other recipe! I have linked up your recipe on my blog :) Hope you don't mind.
  30. This looks really delicious! But I think it's hard to find the bamboo roll, if that so, is there any other way to roll it nicely without using the bamboo?
    • Hi Stella - Yes, you can use aluminium foil. You can fold a large piece in half for durability and use it to roll gimbap. Or use parchment paper. Hope this helps. Happy cooking!
  31. Thank you again for a great post!! I used your recipe to make kimbap after so many failed attempts with other recipes. It was the first kimbap roll that my husband said "MAKE THIS AGAIN". The sesame oil made the rice sooo much easier to work with and so much more delicious. Your pictures were so helpful so my rolls were very tight and beautiful. I made a kimbap version of spam musubi. Turned out really well!!
  32. Anonymous says:
    Hi! Instead of beef, I want to use this pink sausage that's sometimes used in this recipe. What is that called and where in the Korean supermarket can I find it? I know it's not spam.
  33. hi
    thank you share with us the recipe..i hv made kimbap a few time all of my family member love it...
    • Hi lina - I'm so happy to hear that. I bet you are getting quite good at it then. Thank you for letting me know how it turned out for you. Cheers!
  34. Anonymous says:
    How do I store leftovers?
  35. Where can I find the pretty red or green square containers?
  36. Hi, I tried this recipe. I made this for my Korean friends and they said it was a little bit bland. However, for me it's totally delicious. Haha! I made my own Danmuji as the Korean grocery store is far from my house. Hope you can try my recipe too: http://www.marecipes.com/danmuji.
  37. How do we store the remaining dried seaweed?