Dakjuk (Korean chicken porridge)
Porridge is hugely popular in Korea as a breakfast or a light meal. The chicken flavored, creamy porridge is one of the best when it comes to comfort food, especially on cold winter days!
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 cup short grain rice or sweet rice glutinous rice
- 6 cups chicken stock (see notes)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups pulled chicken seasoned with salt, garlic, sesame oil, pepper
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 to 4 mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Optional garnishes:
- Finely chopped scallion
- Sesame seeds
Soak the rice for about an hour, and drain.
Finely chop the vegetables.
Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to a medium size pot. Add the rice and stir-fry for a few minutes over medium heat, until the rice turns translucent.
Pour the stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and softened. Start with medium low heat, but reduce to lower heat when the stock is visibly reduced. Stir occasionally (more frequently as the stock is reduced) so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
Stir in the vegetables, cover, and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft. You can also adjust the consistency of the porridge to your taste by adding more stock or water.
Since the chicken is already cooked, stir it in during the last few minutes of simmering, leaving some to use as a garnish, if desired. You can add salt and pepper at the end or serve on the side. Serve hot with the optional garnish on top.
3 ways to prepare chicken stock and pulled chicken for porridge:
1. Boil a small chicken or a few bone-in chicken pieces with onion, garlic cloves, ginger and scallions until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Use good quality commercial chicken stock and boil some boneless chicken pieces in the stock until the chicken is cooked through.
3. If using leftover roasted chicken, make chicken stock by boiling the remains in a pot along with some aromatic vegetables.