Spicy Grilled Shrimp (Gochujang Saewu Gui)
Easy spicy grilled shrimp flavored with a gochujang sauce!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Resting Time30 mins
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp peeled, tail on, and deveined
- salt and pepper
- For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or more to taste
- juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- For the garnish:
- finely chopped scallions or chives for garnish optional
- Bamboo/wood skewers
Soak the wooden skewers in water while preparing the shrimp. Peel and devein the shrimp if they are shell-on. Rinse the shrimp and drain well (or pat dry). Thread 3 or 4 shrimps on to the skewers. Lightly sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Mix all the marinade ingredients well in a bowl.
Spoon (or brush) the marinade all over the shrimp to coat evenly. Let stand for about 30 minutes.
Preheat a lightly oiled grill. Grill the shrimp over moderate heat until they turn opaque and curled up, a minute or two each side, depending on the heat source. Do not overcook. Baste the shrimp with the remaining sauce while grilling and before serving. You can also cook the shrimp in a grill pan over medium high heat. Garnish with the optional scallions or chives.