Kimchi Bibim Guksu (Spicy Cold Noodles with Kimchi)
A simple cold noodle dish made with kimchi and a few seasoning ingredients! Spicy, slightly sweet and tangy!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
- 8 - 10 ounce somyeon, 소면, (thin wheat noodles)
- 1 cup thinly sliced kimchi preferably fully fermented
- 1/4 cup juice from kimchi use a little more soy sauce and vinegar if unavailable
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or any other clear vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or oligo syrup, 올리고당) use more sugar if unavailable
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 perilla leaves (kkaennip) thinly sliced
- or cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil while preparing the kimchi sauce.
Thinly slice the kimchi and place it in a medium size bowl. Add the juice from the kimchi and remaining sauce ingredients, and mix everything well.
Add the noodles to the pot of boiling water. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions (3 – 4 minutes). Drain quickly and shock in icy cold water to stop cooking. Drain and rinse in cold water again. Repeat until the noodles become cold. Drain well.
Combine the noodles with the kimchi sauce, and toss everything until the noodles are evenly coated with the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste by adding more soy sauce, sugar and/or vinegar, if necessary. Garnish with your choice of the optional vegetables and/or the boiled egg and serve cold.