This spicy grilled Korean chicken is so flavorful, and it’ll become your favorite for summer grilling if you like spicy food.
Here’s another Korean BBQ option for your summer grilling! This spicy chicken bulgogi recipe is so flavorful, and I am confident that it will become one of your grill favorites.
Not a spicy lover? Not to worry! I already have a mild version of this chicken bulgogi recipe, which, by the way, is one of the most popular recipes on my blog.
The dark meat stands up better to the bold marinade in this recipe. Boneless thigh meat is my favorite chicken part for grilling. Its open, flat surface works well for marinating and grilling. But, you can use chicken breast if preferred.
In Korea, deboned drumstick meat is also popular for similar dishes. Keeping the skin is a matter of personal preference.
As a sweetener for the marinade, I used Korean plum syrup called maesil chung (매실청) in addition to honey and sugar. It adds a bit of acidity and fruity sweetness to the dish. Other options are pineapple juice or lemon juice with a bit more sugar. Grated apple works well too. But, simply use more sugar if you don’t have these ingredients.
The marinade can be made 2 to 3 days in advance. Marinate the chicken overnight for best results.
You can grill some vegetables such as onion, zucchini, and/or mushrooms. Simply cut up, toss with some sesame oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper before grilling. You will have an easy side dish to serve with the meat.
If you rather go with an assortment of banchan (side dishes) to complement your spicy chicken, here’s a collection of 15 easy and healthy Koreanvegetable side dishes that are mostly vegan.
If you tried this spicy chicken recipe, please rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out for you in the comment section below. Stay in touch by following me onYouTube,Pinterest,Twitter,Facebook, andInstagram.
Spicy Grilled ChickenMain
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thigh You can use chicken breast if you want
For the marinade
- 2 to 3 tablespoons gochugaru (고추가루), Korean red chili pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or mirin White wine is good too.
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (고추장), Korean red chili pepper paste
- 2 tablespoons honey or 3 tablespoons corn syrup or oligodang (올리고당)
- 2 tablespoons maesil chung, 매실청 (or 2 to 3 tablespoons pineapple juice or grated apple) You can simply use more sugar (about a tablespoon) instead.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 medium onion, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
For the garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds