Kimchi Soondubu Jjigae (Soft Tofu Stew)

Sundubu jjigae recipe

Today, I’m posting another soondubu jjigae (순두부 찌개) recipe.  It’s a stew made with uncurdled tofu, soondubu (also spelled sundubu). Previously, I showed you how to make haemul (seasfood) soondubu jjigae. This recipe is made with kimchi and meat.

You can use any meat you want, and mushrooms are a good substitute if you don’t like meat. For the best results, always use fully fermented kimchi to cook with. I like to use anchovy broth as a stew base, which is typical, but you can use other broth or water. Also, if you have some salted shrimp (saewujeot, 새우젓) leftover from making kimchi, use a little to season the stew instead of using salt. It adds a nice layer to the flavor of the stew.

Keep a package or two of soondubu in the fridge, and whip up this bubbling pot of flavorful stew when you want something warm and comforting on a cold winter night.

DSC_0628

Soondubu Jjigae (Soft tofu stew)
Serves 2
a bubbling pot of flavorful stew made with soft tofu
Ingredients
  1. 1 package (11 ounces) soondubu, 순두부 (extra soft/silken tofu)
  2. 2 ounces beef or pork (rib eye, sirloin, pork loin, or pork belly)
  3. 1/3 cup thinly sliced kimchi
  4. 1 scallion, finely chopped
  5. 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru)- add more for a spicier stew
  6. 1 teaspoon sesame oil (use a little more if using more gochugaru)
  7. 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  8. 1/2 teaspoon saewujeot, 새우젓 (salted shrimp) or salt
  9. pinch black pepper
  10. 1 cup anchovy broth* (or other broth or water)
  11. 2 to 3 tablespoons juice from kimchi
  12. 1 egg (optional)
Instructions
  1. Cut the meat and kimchi into small thin strips. Add the kimchi, meat, red chili pepper flakes, garlic and sesame oil to a small pot, and place it over medium heat.
    Kimchi sundubu jjigae
  2. Stir-fry until the meat is almost cooked and the kimchi is soft, 3 - 4 minutes.
    DSC_0566
  3. Pour in the broth (or water) and juice from the kimchi. Bring it to a boil, and continue to boil for 3 - 4 minutes. Skim off the scum.
    Kimchi sundubu jjigae
  4. Add the soft tofu in big chunks. Stir in the salted shrimp or salt to taste (start with 1/4 teaspoon) and black pepper. Cook for 4 -5 minutes. Add the chopped scallion right before turning the heat off. If desired, crack an egg into the stew while it’s still boiling hot.
    Kimchi sundubu jjigae
Notes
  1. For anchovy broth, boil about 5 or 6 medium dry anchovies and 1 3-inch square dried kelp in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
Korean Bapsang http://www.koreanbapsang.com/

Comments

1. Jennifer says:

I am surprised that no one has commented yet…..Thank you so much for this great recipe. It was easy to make and so tasty. Made it twice within a week.
    Definitely approved by hubby. Thanks again.

• Thank you, Jennifer! That’s great to hear. It means a lot to me that you took the time to let me know how the recipe worked for you. Hope there will be many more to follow you. Cheers!

2. joanne says:

I would like to make a version with mushroom in place of the meat like you suggested. But what type of mushroom is best?

• Vanessa says:

I rehydrated some dried shiitake mushrooms and it turned out delicious.

Thanks for the recipe, so good! I love the photos.

3. I make soondubu jjigae.. I used beef lion can put baby octopus.shrimp. clam sheell

4. Can’t wait to try this.

5. I wanted to eat this today, and I made it instead of going to a restaurant like usual and it is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

6. Thank you for this recipe 🙂

7. Hello!!

Can I use Gochujang instead of Gochugaru? Would it affect the test of the jiggae?

Thank you!

• Yes it will. Gochujang is salty and sweet whereas gochugaru is just spicy. A little bit of gochujang is okay, but too much will make soup thick, salty and slightly sweet.

8. Song Neul Ra says:

I wanted this today and found your recipe. I modified the recipe, leaving out the meat and using organic tempeh. it turned out fabulously. Big hit in my house!!!

9. Thank you! I have loved soon dubu ever since I had it living in Seoul. This recipe was perfect and not intimidating, like some Korean food recipes.

10. Thank you so much for this. I went to Koreatown in my area just to have it and now I can make it at home.

11. I used firm tofu instead, I thought I bought soft tofu. Will the firm tofu effect the taste?

• For this stew, it’s actually extra soft tofu (aka silken tofu). It’s a little different concept because this is to be made with silky soft tofu, but I am sure it’s still delicious.

12. Thank you so much for this recipe. I will surprise my wife with this when she gets home.

13. Haysook Choi says:

Thank you for clear and easy to understand korean recipes. I can now make proper korean dishes without guss work! Soondubu stew is my very favorite dish. Thank you so much!
    Haysook.

14. I’ve tried some of your recipes. They turned out very good! Love your blog! Thank you!

15. Thanks for the recipe; this is one of my absolute favourite Korean dishes and I can’t get it here in the UK. I will definitely be trying out your recipe; I just hope I can get hold of the ingredients. I loved your bibimbap recipe too and hope you don’t mind that I posted a link to it on my vegetarian food blog!

16. Cherryl Vinluan says:

I will be honest, I am not a good cook,but I nailed it, just by following the recipe! I added some clams to it. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.

17. ANNYEOUNGHASEYO! I am grateful for this recipe! However, I am sad to say I am allergic to Sesame Oil and Sesame Seeds. What can I use instead?

18. Thank you for generously sharing your recipes with us all, Hyosun. You are such an angel.
    Today I am trying your crockpot pork belly recipe ~~^^
    정말 감사합니다 *^^*

19. Hi Hyosun,
    Could I kindly enquire whether you have the receipe for Korean steamed egg?
    If so, would be really appreciative and greatful if you could kindly share it with us.
    Sincere Thanks,
    Janice

20. catherine jhung says:

i love your website. Please make all recipes PRINTable. thank you

21. I just noticed that whenever I made this (and that’s about five times by now) I measured the gochugaru using tablespoons instead of teaspoons… they turn out spicy (and awesome!) enough for my family’s tastes, but does it alter the flavor so much that it becomes less authentic? Thank you!

• Wow I am sure it was spicy! Glad to hear your family still enjoyed it. No, it doesn’t alter the flavor other than the spiciness overpowering the soup.