Bibimbap

Easy Bibimbap recipe

This bibimbap (비빔밥) recipe was originally posted on this blog back in February, 2010. As you can tell from the numerous comments below, it’s been enormously popular. Today, I am updating the bibimbap post with the new photos I took over the holiday break.

Bibimbap is a large bowl of rice topped with an array of individually prepared vegetables and beef, and served with seasoned red chili pepper paste (gochujang). Bibim means mixing, and bap means rice. The mixing usually happens at the table right before eating.

Bibimbap served in a sizzling hot stone bowl (dolsot) is very popular at Korean restaurants. It’s my absolute favorite! The hot stone bowl gives the bottom layer of rice a nice golden crust, and the rest of the food sizzles while being mixed. At home, we sometimes make bibimbap using side dishes left over from previous meals. It’s that versatile!

This bibimbap recipe looks long, but it is actually a collection of several side dish (banchan) recipes that are very simple to make. Even if you are not making bibimbap, you can use any of them to make small side dishes as well. For my bibimbap, I used 7 toppings, but any 3 or 4 of these will make a delightful bibimbap dish.

Easy Bibimbap recipe

Bibimbap
Serves 4
a Korean rice bowl with beef and vegetables
Ingredients
  1. 3 cups short grain rice
  2. 8 ounces beef, rib eye or sirloin (substitute shiitake mushrooms for a vegetarian dish)
  3. 2 cups boiled gosari*, 고사리 (fernbrake)
  4. 16 ounces soybean sprouts, 콩나물 (or mung bean sprouts, 숙주)
  5. 1 bunch spinach
  6. 2 kirby (pickling) cucumbers (or 1 Korean cucumber)
  7. 2 small zucchinis
  8. 2 medium carrots
  9. 5 teaspoons minced garlic
  10. 2 or 3 scallions, chopped
  11. soy sauce
  12. sesame oil
  13. roasted sesame seeds
  14. salt and pepper
  15. vegetable or canola oil
  16. 4 eggs
Bibimbap sauce
  1. 4 tablespoons of Korean red chili pepper paste (gochujang, 고추장)
  2. 1 tablespoon of sugar
  3. 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
  4. 3 tablespoons of water
Instructions
  1. Cook the rice in a rice cooker or following package directions, using a little less water than called for. The rice for bibimbap should be a little drier than usual for best results.
  2. Beef: Cut into thin 2-inch long strips. Mix in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 2 teaspoons of rice wine, 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 sesame seeds and a pinch of pepper. Marinate for 20 minutes. Sauté in a skillet for 2 - 3 minutes over high heat.
    Bibimbap beef
  3. Gosari (Fern brake): Cut into 3-inch lengths. Season with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and a pinch of pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sauté in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of vegetable/canola oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
    Bibimbap Gosari
  4. Soy bean sprouts: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil with a teaspoon of salt. Add the bean sprouts and boil for 3 minutes. Drain quickly and shock in cold water to stop cooking. Drain again. Toss with 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and salt and pepper to taste.
    Bibimbap kongnamul
  5. Spinach: Blanch the spinach in salted boiling water only until wilted, 30 - 40 seconds. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out water. Cut into 3-inch lengths. Toss with 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
    Bibimbap Spinach
  6. Cucumbers: Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then thinly slice crosswise. Generously sprinkle salt over sliced cucumbers and set aside for 10 - 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid. Toss with 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds.
    Bibimbap cucumber
  7. Zucchinis: Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise and then thinly slice crosswise. Generously sprinkle salt over sliced zucchinis and set aside for 10 - 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid from salted zucchini by hand. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds. Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 1 - 2 minutes over medium high heat.
    Bibimbap zucchini
  8. Carrots: Julienne the carrots into match sticks. Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 1 - 2 minutes over medium high heat, sprinkling salt and pepper to taste.
    Bibimbap carrot
  9. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
  10. Assemble: Place a serving of rice in a big bowl. (If using a stone bowl, heat it over medium heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil and rice and cook the rice for several minutes until the rice sizzles.) Nicely arrange a small amount of each prepared vegetable and beef over the rice. Drizzle a little sesame oil over. Top with an egg fried sunny-side up and serve with the red pepper paste sauce.
Notes
  1. *You can buy dried gosari (고사리) at any Korean market. Rehydrate by boiling in water until tender.
  2. **Other common toppings for bibimbap include shiitake mushrooms (sliced and sautéd), bell flower roots (doraji - soaked and sautéd), onion (sliced and sautéd), a leaf of lettuce, and kimchi (sliced).
Korean Bapsang http://www.koreanbapsang.com/
Bibimbap recipe

Original photo Feb 12, 2010

Comments

1. I always order this when out, now Im excited to try it at home..thanks!!
  2. Thanks for visiting. Hope you try it. I would love to know how it turns out for you.
  3. I'm delighted to find a real recipe for this - my favorite Korean restaurant dish. I can't wait to try it at home.
  4. Thanks for stopping by! Try it. It's not that hard, and you will learn how to make a few Korean side dishes at the same time. Well worth the effort! Let me know how you like it.
  5. mmmm this looks so good! i love korean food and recently started to love bibimbaps
  6. I luuuuuuuuv Bibinbap, I use to go all the time to this Korean restaurant in NY to have it. But since I moved to LA I didn't find anything yet. I miss it. But now I have the recipe that's great, it looks delicious.
  7. These photographs are fantastic! Definitely my favorite entry in terms of pictures. I'm going to have to try the actual recipe... though having tried the real thing made by you, I know it will be good!
  8. Anonymous says:
    I have always loved bibimbap, but have never attempted to make it at home. Your instructions make it so easy, and your Red Pepper Paste Sauce is absolutely delicious! Thank you very much for providing such authentic, tasty and achievable recipes. They are of the highest quality found on the internet!
  9. Thank you very much for such wonderful comments! I am delighted to hear you tried my recipe and liked it. Hope to hear from you again soon.
  10. I love this dish. It always seems like so much work to do at home. You have broken down the process so simply that I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the lesson.
  11. Susan - Thank you! I am glad to hear you are going to try. Let me know if you have any questions.
  12. This dish is so rich in flavours and colours. It looks very tasty. Thank you for sharing.
  13. Anonymous says:
    i really like this dishes...
  14. I have been looking everywhere for a good bibimbap recipe! This one looks perfect. Thanks :)
  15. Thank you, Stephanie, for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment. Hope you get to try the recipe.
  16. My boyfriend and I just made this tonite with the beef, cucumbers, zucchini, sprouts, carrots and shitake mushrooms.

Delicious! I was a bit scattered making all the little dishes but that always happened when I make something for the first time. We're having the left overs tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing! Plus it was really easy to glance at the recipe and find what I was looking for with the little pictures by each vegetable.
  17. Stephanie - I am so happy to hear it turned out very well for you. It does get a little hectic with all these small dishes, but it sounds like you executed really well. Thanks for trying my recipe and letting me know how it went.
  18. Michelle K says:
    I just made this and it was so good. I used the spinach, carrots, sprouts, beef and zucchini. Since I am trying to stay low carb, instead of rice, I wrapped the veggies and meat in lettuce with a dash of your gochujang sauce. Delicious!
  19. Great idea Michelle! Let's call that bibimbap wrap. I should try that since I really need to watch carb too.
  20. I love your recipe! I love the step-by-step instructions on how to cook the ingredients, certainly makes it easier to follow =) I'll definitely be making this soon!=) Joanne
  21. Thank you, Joanne! Hope you enjoy the dish as much as I do. This is definitely one of my favorites.
  22. Lilluz says:
    I made this for my husband's birthday and he couldn't stop raving about it! Thanks :)
    • Oh that's so sweet of you! Your husband is one lucky guy. Happy birthday to him!! Thanks for trying out my recipes and letting me know how it turned out.
  23. I'm making this now. So excited to eat this! Wish I have a stone bowl...
  24. Jessica Tan says:
    Love your tips! I love bibimbap ! It's dieting, low in calories and I eat it every day by cutting out rice and substituting it with microwaved chopped cauliflower and no meat! I might cheat and add one third bowl of brown rice.
  25. This recipe is so tasty!! Today I made it for the third time and I think it was my best yet. As a girl with no experience in Korean cuisine (safe for watching Kdramas and wishing I was there ^.^)I think that I did pretty well thanks to your detailed descriptions and photographs. I will try some more of your recipes (if I can find the ingredients!)
  26. This is one of my Favorite Korean dish, while I was stationed there for 3 years. Thank you so much for posting :)
  27. Just made some bibimbap last night and wrote a post about it linking people here to check out your great suggestions. It wound up being delicious! Thanks for the post

www.messofalife.com
  28. I am so excited to make this for my boyfriend. My local market has a lot of these veggie dishes prepared, but making it from scratch will taste fresher and be more cost effective. Thank you for such good instructions and photos!
  29. I've always enjoyed this dish when out and since I found this I make it at home often, my family and I absolutely love this. We've even gotten my husbands family hooked :)
  30. We just had this for our lunch. We love it.. thank you for such detail instruction
  31. This is one of the most known Korean food in our country.
  32. Anonymous says:
    Can I put chicken meat instead of beef?
  33. Anonymous says:
    Can I put chicken instead of beef? And which part of chicken should I use? I'm a very new cook, with no ecperience in cooking! ><"
    • I see. Any part! Use what you like, but dark meat will probably go better with this dish. See the chicken recipe here: http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2012/03/dak-bulgogi-korean-bbq-chicken.html#.UG912E3A_s4

Hope this helps! And don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. Thanks for using my recipe!
  34. Kim Eun-mi says:
    Keke my boyfriend made this dish on our first date I fell inlove with him right away after watching him cook lol he added a little roasted ground sesame seeds into the mix and it was yummy.
    The next morning he used the leftovers of this dish for pancakes, I love this blog and have started to cook also thanks to you and my amazing korean boyfriend I showed him this blog and now he reads too
  35. Tried this in a Korean restaurant in Ireland, my cousin told us to try Korean food and this was amazing loved it! If there was Korean restaurant in the U.K where I live I would go asap xD but sadly I think it's only big cities which has Korean restaurant. =(
  36. Bibimbap is one of my favorite meals but I've never tried making it until I came across this webpage and made it tonight for dinner. I think this is one of the best things I've made! It took awhile and I had to make my own gochujang, but it turned out just great and was well worth the effort. Thank you!!
  37. I really like this serving dishes... thanks for sharing with us.
  38. Monikamcd says:
    This recipe is amazing. It is one of our favorites. Thank you for your wonderful blog.
  39. The only thing is missing is the egg "sunny side up" or "over easy" on top.
  40. is there a substitute for gosari?
  41. Absolutely great! I was stationed in Korea and I love the food. Made this for the first time yesterday and I'm pretty proud of myself, it turned out great. Thanks!
    • Hi Jimmy - I'm very proud of you as well! And happy to hear it turned out well for you. Thank you very much for your service in Korea. Also, I thank you for using my recipe and for taking the time to leave a feedback for me and other readers. Cheers!
  42. It was truly wonderful, it took me back to Seoul for 20 mins! Thx.
  43. I do have a question though - when making it in a stone bowl, do you preheat the bowl in the oven then add oil and rice? Or do you oil the bowl, add rice and place it in the oven until it sizzles? My bowl didn't get hot enough so the rice didn't get crispy - it still tasted wonderful though!
    • I usually heat it on the stove top until it gets very hot, and then add the rice and cook for a few minutes until the rice sizzles. Try it on the stove top next time.
  44. i usually see there is an egg in the bibimbap i saw on tv..the egg was raw or cooked??
    • Egg is usually cooked sunny-side up, but some people use a raw egg too. You can cook any way you want, but runny yoke sort of works as a sauce, giving the rice moisture and flavor. Thanks for visiting!
  45. I have seen on the Travel Channel that an emperial version of bibimbap can have up to 28 different ingredients. I have eatened deep fried square of kombu and ginko nuts added to bibimbap. Do you know of any other ingredients that are used in Korea and are not common in the bibimbap version outside of Korea?

46. nawouri ezane says:
    Really excited to try bibimbap at home..
  47. Hyosun: I use to fly to Seoul every two weeks for years and almost every day that I was in Seoul I had Bibimbap for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I truly love the combination of the rice, vegetables and meat. At times I would eat it with no meat and it was just as good. The gochujang sauce in my mind is what makes the dish so unbelievable. Tonight I made it for the family using you recipe and they went nuts over it. I also made a fresh batch of Kimchi that I just love. I was in Korean overload tonight. Thanks for the great recipe. Your recipe is easy and as good as all the Bibimbap I use to eat in Korea.
    Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
    • Hi Roger - I'm totally THRILLED to hear your family went nuts over it! I know it was a lot of work for you, but it definitely sounds like it was totally worth it. Wow kimchi too? Very nice. Hope you and your family enjoy kimchi as well. Thank you so much for choosing my recipe and letting me know how it turned out!!! Means a great deal to me. I'm so looking forward to hearing more about your Korean cooking. Cheers!
  48. Dear Hyosun: I have been eating Bi-Bim-Bap for years at Korean restaurants. Never thought of making it at home until I stumbled on your recipe. Since then, I made it twice. I use a large Dolsot bowl to assemble the ingredients. I don't mix the ingredients when I place the Dolsot bowl on the stove. Everyone in my family loves the crispy rice at the bottom. Thanks for this lovely easy method.
  49. I came to know about this magnificient dish when I did a feature coverage about it. At first, I wasn't able to appreciate it. For the record, I have a whole day shoot and that made me lost my appetite. But fate intervenes, I accidentally spotted a similar dish at the mall and have tried it. And the rest is history.
    Should I say, Bibimbap is quite interesting dish for one, it has a very good preparation, it comes with finest ingredients, vegetables that are not hard to find. Plus the fact that it is very nutritious and just enough to satisfy a hungry tummy without leaving you any guilt.
    And I am very HAPPY that it is an ASIAN dish.
  50. Hi! The dried fern frake has little leaves on the ends, do I cut them off or can I eat them as well?
  51. Thank you!! This is the easiest explanation of this recipe i have ever seen
  52. Shilpee says:
    I am going to make Bibimbap tis weekend! Hank you for the recipe!
  53. jessica Leonard says:
    I practiced making this dish using your website when we lived in Korea. Now that we are back in the states my son asked for this for his birthday. It was just as good!
  54. Thank you so much for making this simple and short! I usually need to check the recipe every 2 minutes when I'm cooking to make sure I'm doing everything right. This just makes it so easy! :)
  55. They look beautiful! Did you also change your camera?
    • Thank you, Sue! Great to see you. No, the same camera and lens I've had for a while. My photography skills are still hit or miss. He he...
  56. You should make an app for your recipes! I use my ipad all the time to follow your instructions as I cook! :)
    • Thank you, Allison! though I don't even know where to begin... All too much high tech stuff for this old Korean lady. sigh...
  57. Bren Ramos says:
    Hi! Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try to cook bibimbap coz it's one of my favorites already. My question is, can I use olive oil instead of sesame oil? Will the taste differ if I use olive oil?
    • Sesame oil is an important ingredient for creating authentic Korean flavors. Use olive oil if you want, but it will taste different.
  58. Thank you so much for the post on this meal. Great flavors and very easy to follow. The only problem I found was being able to wait, the time it took to prep and cook all the ingredient. Thanks again
  59. I've tried making this dish and it was fun. Very quick and easy. Thanks for the help. :)
  60. So I want to make this dish tomorrow night but I can't find any Korean chili paste. The nearest Asian supermarket is about 40 minutes away :( what can I substitute with? I've heard that the sauce makes a big difference and I don't want to get it wrong.
    • For this classic bibimbap, there's no substitute for Korean chili paste. You can use a soy sauce based sauce I have for tuna bibimbap (http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2013/05/spring-bibimbap-with-tuna.html), but it's going to be very different. Hope this helps.
  61. I just made this for my family and everyone loved it. My children are 10 and 7, so I just added less of the spicy sauce to their bowls. I've tried different recipes on the web before, but this is the best one I've found. I can't wait to try other recipes on your site!
  62. i really like this dishes… please keep hard work!
  63. Just made this for the first time with wathever vegetable I had left in my fridge (Turnip tops, green beans, chinese white cabbage) plus some organice minced meat I bought from the market....marinating is key... and then it doesnt mather what crunchy vegetable you use....it will all taste amazing. I just had this dish once before in a restaurant, but all the flavours seemed to match my memory. I've finished all I made within minutes after serving....omg.
  64. Holly amparan says:
    Have made this once before and are making tonight. Recipe is wonderful with any combintation of veggies. We grate the veggies and just. Marinate the cucumber and carrot since my kids dont like cooked veggies. I wouldnt do this with anything but good quilty eggs since i feel there the star of the show.
  65. Marillin Reyes says:
    Hi my name is Marillin And I'm an American Puerto Riquen. I was stationed in Korea for two tours while serving in the U.S. Army. I loved the culture then and I love it now. The food is amazing!!! My daughter and I are allergic to seafood so we miss out on many of the beautiful dishes that include any traces of seafood. But we try just about everything else. I used to be a cook in the Army and we had Korean National work along side of us. I was treated to many of their special dishes. Just me though; they loved me. I can't wait to cook all these delicious recipes. Thank you for sharing.
  66. Johanna says:
    Thank you so much for this recipe! It is the best Bibimbap i have tried and even friends of mine loved it.
  67. Hi, In my home, we eat 95% Asian style in my home. It's rare that we eat American food. Only when my husband feels like cooking. I was raised in Thailand & never learned to cook it. Where can I find the stone bowls for Bibmbap? I make a Thai version of it, but without the crispy rice. I do make crispy rice in the pan, as I make my rice, but I'd like to make it an easier, guaranteed way, with the stone bowl. It's harder to make in the pan & if I get busy for one minute too long, it will scorch the rice, not crisp it. Scorched rice, ruins the whole pan of rice. It makes it smell bad, too. My husband loves his crispy rice. Every time he hears me getting ready to make rice, he calls out for me not to forget to make it crispy for him. As if I could forget what he calls out almost daily. :) I have been following you for a couple of years and love your recipes! I have added many of your Korean dishes to our daily meals. Thank you for taking the time to take the beautiful pictures and writing down your recipes and memories, for us to share. Pheesao
  68. I love bibimbap, and I made this for the first time with my friend today, and it was so good! Tastes just like bibimbap from the restaurants!! Thanks so much for this great recipe
  69. omg i made it for myself and i love it so much! its so delicious.
  70. Danny Harbison says:
    While living and working the Republic of Korea, I was fortunate enough to live in the province where Bibimbap originated (Near Jeonju) or at leas that is what I was told by my Korean friends. It quickly became one of my favorite "go to" meals there.
  71. Hello hope you are doing well. Currently I am leaving in South Korea. I use your recipes almost everyday. my kids love bibimpap. I found your site and recipes very useful for my family. I would like to ask, if it would be possible if I create android application for your site, and may be translate it to many languages? ( actually I am also not Korean ) I would definitely mention your site name for copyright.. Is that will be ok for you? Will you give your permission to so? I think that would be wonderful android application with step by step pictures. How do you think?
    • Hi Bara - I'm doing well. Hope you're too. Thanks for using my recipes, however, I am sorry I have to say no to your request for various reasons. I hope you understand.
  72. This is absolutely one of my favorite Korean foods. I almost eat it every other day! Thank you, ma'am, for posting this! <3 Hope to make this some other time. :)
  73. STEVE S. says:
    Dear Hyosun, Last year I bought a Dolsot (from Korea Town in L.A.) to make bibimbap at home but I was always uncomfortable until I saw your recipe. I've seen many bibimbap recipes on the Internet but yours appealed to me the most. Well, today I made at home. For the meat, I used leftover brisket meat I BBQ-ed. I also left out the cucumbers as I was running out of energy. I also coated the inside of Dolsot with oil to prevent rice from sticking. Nonetheless, the rice was crispy. This dish was supposed to be for 4, but me and my wife finished it by ourselves. Now that I made bibimbap, I am hooked and will make more often. An advice for the first-timer is "Have all ingredients ready and cooked before you assemble in the Dolsot." A question for Hyosun: My gosari had flower buds. I trimmed them. Could these flower bud be eaten or cut them off as I did? Thank you for a wonderful recipe...
  74. Thank you for sharing this. We never heard of this dish, but saw it on a cookery show and it looked intriguing. I did a random search and your recipe looked attractive and instructive. It guideposts me to be able to use what I had to hand for a delightful supper last night. First taste of Korean food went down a hit!
    • Wow I'm impressed to hear you chose this dish to try as your first taste of Korean food! I know this dish involved quite a few steps and some people feel intimidated to try. I'm very happy to hear it went well! You'll definitely find most of the dishes on the blog approachable. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note! You made my day.